2016年1月6日星期三

How CEO Brit Morin Plans, Executes, And Achieves Her Goals

brit
Brit Morin, CEO and cofounder of Brit+Co, knows a thing or two about achieving her goals. She left Google at 25 to launch her own company, and hasn’t looked back. On her site, you’ll find great information and lifestyle advice on everything from tech gadgets to makeup tutorials. If anyone knows about how to make and achieve New Year’s Resolutions: it’s Brit.
We asked her for advice on how to manage it all and stay on top of your goals this year. Here’s what she had to say:

It’s amazing how much you do! When it comes time to set goals, how do you come up with a plan to achieve goals?

Brit: I’m a visual person by nature so it’s important for me to visualize my goals first, not just write them down in a check-list. Whether it’s creating a mood board or flipping through magazines for inspiration, visualizing my goals actually motivates me to set a game plan.
Organization is also crucial. That’s why Trello is an essential tool. I can throw out the post-it notes and put my plan all in one clutter-free place. Trello helps me to also be transparent with my goals since my boards are easily shareable which holds me accountable.

Aw shucks, you’re making me blush. So you’ve set up your boards: Now, how do you keep yourself accountable for achieving your goals?

Brit: First, I make sure that my goals are actually achievable. Don’t be overly ambitious, be realistic when setting goals. The perfectionist in me sometimes can cloud my judgment and I often have to remind myself to take a step back and re-evaluate. There’s a reason why 80% of New Year’s resolutions are thrown out the window by the end of January! I also make sure that I set thoughtful goals that check the boxes:
  • Will this help improve my life?
  • Why is this important to me?
You need to understand the value and importance in the goals you create and set in order to ensure you stick with them. Also, making your goals a priority will help you reach them faster. Block out time in your schedule whether it’s weekly or daily, especially when you set fitness and well-being goals. You need to make the time or it’s easy for your goals to fall to the wayside.

Speaking of falling by the wayside, how do you prioritize your goals with so much other stuff going on in life?

Brit: I’m definitely juggling a lot these days so prioritizing my goals is an absolute must. Again, I evaluate my goals under a lens, “How will the result improve my life?” Especially when it comes to your health and well-being which is so incredibly important and should always be at the top of your list. It’s the foundation for everything else. Without it you can easily fall apart with such a hectic schedule.
Brit_Summer_Stock_2015_139

How do you stay motivated?

Brit: I’m lucky enough to have family, friends and colleagues that constantly lift me up and motivate me. A cheering squad is key when you need that extra motivation, especially when you are close to throwing in the towel.
Reminding yourself to stay focused is also important. Sometimes just going for a run outdoors helps me clear my mind and reset.

Great advice! If you had to distill it down to just a few pieces of advice, what are your top five tips for reaching lifestyle goals like remodeling a house, cooking more, or trying new looks?

Brit: I’d attack each of these topics differently. For example when remodeling a house, or in my case, designing my son’s nursery, I used technology to help me achieve the final result. I look for visual inspiration first, whether that is scouring the interwebs or creating a good-old fashioned Pinterest board. It’s important to take the time to find examples of what you love.
Here are my top five tips when setting a lifestyle goal like remodeling a house or designing a room:
  1. Set a realistic budget.
  2. Take the time to look for visual inspiration… perhaps on Brit + Co? 😉
  3. Use technology and apps like: Pinterest, Houzz, Modsy, Photoshop to bring your ideas to life.
  4. Experiment with your environment, test color schemes and designs, etc.
  5. When all is said and done, take a second to celebrate your accomplishment. Share the finished product on social media! It will give you the extra motivation to tackle your next goal!

Girlboss_004_small

We know you love tech. What are your top five tools for staying accountable with the goals you’ve set?

Brit:
  1. Trello, obviously!
  2. Setting reminders in your iCalendar/Google Calendar or in Evernote is incredibly useful.
  3. If it’s a fitness goal you’ve set, a fitness tracking app like Nike+ or Moves helps keep you focused.
  4. On Slack you can even create groups to help motivate you along the way.
  5. Having an analog tool — like a friend or a spouse — is by far the best way to stay accountable. Force them to ask you how you are progressing every so often and be honest when you answer them! (Note: you could also use a social media site like Instagram or Facebook and ask your followers to hold you accountable the same way.)

What has been the best advice you’ve received about making and sticking with changes in your lifestyle?

Brit: You answered it in your question! The key word is “lifestyle” — changes are not just temporary events. To stick, they have to become part of your everyday life. So, start small and build incrementally until you can really adapt to the change you wish to see in yourself on a daily basis.
There you have it! Brit Morin’s tips for making lifestyle changes, big or small, and sticking with them.

没有评论:

发表评论